Monday, April 7, 2014

What was it like, Walsh and Kennedy? Part one

     I've bumped into a lot of people the past few days. Each one asking the same question. "You play the funerals?" My answer of course, "yes I did." My response was followed up with "so tragic, what was it like?" I didn't really know how or have an answer. Each time I had to sit and think, what was it like? Awkwardly I would say to almost all of those people, "It was ok." As I sit here tonight, the word inspiring came to mind.

Boston Fire Lt ed Walsh
     Boston Fire Lieutenant Edward J. Walsh Jr. Perished in a valiant effort fighting a fierce wind driven fire in a brownstone nestled in Boston's Back Bay on March 26, 2014. A devoted and loving family man, he leaves behind his wife and three children. A second-generation firefighter, he loved the firefighters he worked alongside and found a home at Engine 33, Ladder 15. He loved working out of the "busy house" on Boylston. Eddie adored his young family and as a devoted father, he was deeply involved in his children's activities, spending many hours coaching his son in baseball, football, and basketball as well as daughters soccer team. His love of family and children extended even beyond his own as he consistently volunteered his time for the Brian McNeil Memorial Foundation, Lt. Paul J. Sullivan Scholarship Fund, Franciscan Children's Hospital, and others. In addition to his philanthropic efforts, Ed worked at the Oak Square YMCA as a facilities director. Ed clearly had a plan with his forever. His selflessness was inspiring.
   
380 pieces to this massed band for Lt Walsh
     We arrived in Watertown by 830am. Plenty of time to get ready and mingle. There were already about a hundred and fifty pipers and drummers from all over the country at the staging area when we arrived. Right away we saw the Gaelic Fire Brigade P&D and the Greater Boston FF P&D. The plan of the day was the Boston bands would lead the massive 380 piece massed band. As I met with the Pipe Majors of those bands they asked us to join them as we play together all of the time. We were honored to stand with them. It meant a lot, more than words on a page could describe. The instructor for The Brigade began tuning the bands from Boston. The circle of pipers was rather large and was taking him a little longer than I think he expected so I asked him if he wanted any help and without a second thought he told me to start on the other side. With the two of us the tuning went much faster and came out well. The remainder of the massed band was instructed to tune themselves respectively at 477hz. I know too technical for you non pipers, but the point is everyone knew where to be. Back to the plan of the day, Boston bands up front, with Worchester following, They would be leading the massed band beyond St Patrick's church as we were to peel off and circle in front of the church on the lawn. Worcester Fire Brigade would then take the remainder of the band beyond the church and up the street. I can only imagine the thoughts of the Worcester band for being given this honor. We here in MA sure do stick together in the times of need. Inspiring.

The salute to Lt Walsh
     I am quite sure you have all seen the photo. The little boy sporting the black fire helmet that donned his head so perfectly, wrapped in the tiny red fire coat with the words "Fire Chief" on the back. I saw him too. I know full well when you are in the circle you need to present yourself proper. Stand tall, at attention, eyes fixed front. I usually do much better but I caught a glimpse of the boy and lost myself. Once I saw him and his youthful innocence I couldn't contain myself as my eyes fixed on his saunter and continued that way as he made his way up walk way to the church. His inability to fully comprehend the feel of the day was oddly refreshing and his commitment to the salute was to say the least, inspiring.

     We would not enter the church during the service and were told we were free to move about. We were instructed to be back on the lawn in less than one hour. I began to make my way through the crowd looking for the Brockton Fire contingent, to no avail I might add. As I made my way through I kept seeing many guys I've known though my travels as a piper. It's always amazing to me that out of ten thousand or so people you can still find friends. I guess that is why they use that term brotherhood all of the time, I don't know. As I stood conversing with a fine gentleman from the Gaelic Brigade a woman from a Boston paper (that has been no friend in the past) came to us looking for a quote. I told her I had no comment. It was not my place, she seemed miffed that I did want to speak to her. I wasn't concerned, someone would give her the fuel she needed for her payday, it just wasn't going to be me. As we continued to speak many guys came up to us and the common theme was appreciation and admiration. I always find the admiration of your peers to be inspirational.
Panoramic view of the Boston Gaelic Fire Brigade, Greater Boston, and Brockton Firefighter Pipes & Drums in the circle.
     Following the service we played Amazing Grace as the casket moved from the church down the walk to the street and up onto Engine 33 for the Lieutenant's final ride. The band played well and held on for an incredible tribute to an incredible man. Once again I found myself looking at the front of the church. I lost myself again, but only for a moment. I'm happy I did. The moment I looked on I saw a young girl (quite possibly Walsh's daughter) as she made her way to the bottom of the stairs. The young girl wearing a pretty pink jacket, carrying a Minnie Mouse pocket book in one hand holding the woman's in the other. She stopped on the bottom step only for a short pause, she bent her knees and made the youthful jump that many of us parents have seen and been involved in since the beginning of time. Her face framed by beautiful blond locks carried a broad smile and her reflection of innocence bounced of the woman in such a positive way. This jump is so cute and fun each and every time. Can you not chuckle? Question, is it not true, the meaning of life is our children? It is apparent to me the Walsh's knew this. How can you not be inspired by that?

     We would then make our way to the cemetery for a service private to the family and the Boston Fire Department. After the beautiful service at the graveside I was left with many feelings. Through all I had seen today my reflections would be to Mrs. Walsh and those beautiful children. His family is left with a hole to fill. I can only hope the way we (the band) carried ourselves was enough to drive them through the day. Clearly what we do is not enough for them but as a community we can attempt to get them through all of this. As for the question, "what was it like?" Clearly it was sad, pain filled, demanding, and taxing, but I must say through all of that the feeling that is presented to me the most. Inspiration! Inspiration for the next day.


To be continued...

Peter



5 comments:

  1. Thanx for that sir. It was an honor to come up from TX to be a part of this. Very well put. Stay safe. Ur Brother always. Hank 145

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Hank. Your feedback is much appreciated. i was able to come down to the funerals for the Houston FD this fall, your state is hot!! Stay safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, what a beautifully written tribute, not just to Lt. Walsh and his family but to the true brotherhood of those noble and brave men known as firefighters. Few of us can comprehend the effort, physical, emotional and psychological, that comes with the job that you all do. Fewer still are the people who can take up this task and do it justice. God bless you for the work you do and the risks you take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, it was truly an honor to play with everyone, it WAS so inspiring to see the sea of brothers and sisters as we marched by.. felt so proud of my profession... Stay safe my brother... Don, NH Pipes and Drums

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said...Same holds true here also Pete, was an honor to be there...I think I speak for everyone from Jersey City Fire Department especially our band..Thanks again,Sean O'Connor L-12

    ReplyDelete