Thursday, April 10, 2014

What was it like, Walsh and Kennedy? Part two

FF Michael Kennedy BFD L-15
     Here we are just one week since the funeral for Boston Firefighter Michael Kennedy. For those of you that may be new to "A Piper's View," Michael died from injuries sustained while operating in the basement of  the 9 alarm fire located at 298 Beacon Street just opposite the Charles River on March 26, 2014. Michael was born in Boston on October 11, 1980 and served honorably for over 6 years in the U.S. Marine Corps where he had earned the rank of Sergeant. Michael was a Combat Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom prior to being appointed to the Boston Fire Department on November 5, 2007, where he would work on Ladder 2 before moving on to Boylston Street assigned to Ladder 15. Michael was a caring sort who gave and spent time with others, joining the Big Brother Program in East Boston, working as a fundraiser for the Wounded Warriors Project, and the Boston Firefighters Burn Foundation. So much has happened over the last week, but not one thing from this day a week ago has left my mind.

     The sun was shining so bright on my arrival at the church where all of this pipe band stuff started for me. That's right the funeral services for Kennedy are at the same church where I stood in 1996 as a young wet behind the ears probationary firefighter. Only this day I was not green and knew exactly what to expect. This day I would not be in awe of the swing in the kilt or the snap and whip of the flag. There were no snow covered grounds dusted deep in sand and soot. No clouds in the sky and the starched polyester and bell cap were replaced with wool and a Glen Garry. There would be no child staring back at me, I could not lose focus today, heck I still had all my inspiration from the day before.

Funeral Procession of FF Kennedy as it passes the rotary
     We arrived at the staging area and right away were grabbed by the Pipe Major of the Boston Gaelic Fire Brigade. Today's plan would be slightly different from yesterday. The Gaelic Brigade would play in front of the church while we would be given the honor of leading the massed bands beyond. When I say we, I mean Greater Boston Firefighters Pipes & Drums/Brockton Firefighter Pipes &Drums/Worcester Fire Brigade Pipes & Drums. After a short discussion prior to a massed bands meeting with all the Pipe Majors and Band Managers I was asked if I could go and begin to tune the bands. Everyone was pretty close to where they needed to be so tuning was rather easy. So many people would stop me and comment on the day prior and how wonderful the services were. Once again the band would have well over 300 pieces for today, a great showing! One of the guys on my department was walking by with his son, he had kept his son home from school to pay his respects. I thought this was great. What he would learn today could not be measured on one lost day in school. We would step off without incident and this time I was able to see the other side as we made our way to the church from the opposite side of the hill. There were people everywhere. Not just the sidewalks but in windows and roof tops alike. It just seemed there were more people today than the day before. This could be because West Roxbury is far more open than Watertown. As we played the Minstrel Boy up the hill toward the rotary I quickly realized maybe I didn't really fully have hold of the feelings of the day, maybe my concentration wasn't as tight as I thought. There, just opposite the church on the rotary is the Holy Name Elementary School. The teachers had brought all of the children out and lined them along the fence. So many of these kids standing and watching as we passed by. Waving the American Flag and responding to us like this was a joyous occasion. I know these kids didn't really understand fully what was going on but them being there created a beautiful tribute to Kennedy.


Holy Name Church, Members Saluting FF Kennedy
     As we passed by the church the Gaelic Brigade broke off to the front as we continued on. Once the massed band made our way beyond the front of the church we would finish playing. The Brigade would then take over and pipe the casket into the church. The arrival went off like clockwork!! After we were dismissed I began looking for the members of my department that had ridden in on two separate bus loads. As I was making my way through the crowds, (many of the people were making mention of how nice and fitting these two days have been) I saw a friend of mine. His brother (Engine 2) and sister (Fire Alarm) are on my department. His family is rich in the fire service as his father is retired a Boston Jake. He himself is also alarm operator. He has been on the Boston Fire Department for quite sometime and took part in some of the communications during the fire that took the lives of Walsh and Kennedy. I had known that his wife was the operator in charge of the fire so I asked him how she was doing. He had told me how she was handling the whole thing, she is a trooper, and that she was returning to work after taking just a couple days off. I don't blame her. This woman was incredible and kept her wits about her through extreme tragedy. She held her composure throughout the entire event never wavering even for a second. A true professional. I can only imagine how proud of her the Boston Fire Department and her family could be. A job well done!

Members of the American Infidels during church services
     I found myself standing staring at the front of the church, almost exactly the spot I stood 17 years ago. I couldn't help but think of the young boy (How it all Started) as I equated him to the men I had seen lined up in front of the church earlier. These men all with bodies and faces that have clearly lived a life time stood at attention wearing boots, jeans and the signature leather vests of a motorcycle club. They were the members of the American Infidels, a motorcycle club that Kennedy(Dork) belonged to. The club is made up of military men that have the interest of motorcycles and camaraderie. These men have seen battle in the field and have battled enough in their minds through their life time. They may be standing differently than the boy so many years ago but their inside emotion was just the same. I watched as they made their way up and into the church marching in unison. These men knew brotherhood and it showed in the way they carried themselves. It amazes me when you step back and take a look into the life of others, you realize just how many people are affected when someone is lost. Mind boggling.

to be continued…

Peter



1 comment:

  1. Well put Brother! It was an HONOR to play with you and all the other Proud Band Members! Signed, 792 Piper

    ReplyDelete