Saturday, April 12, 2014

What was it like, Walsh and Kennedy? The Conclusion

     It amazes me when you step back and take a look into the life of others, you realize just how many people are affected when someone is lost. Mind boggling.

Lt. Edward Walsh E-33, FF Micheal Kennedy L-15
     I guess I took the long route to answer the short question, "What was it like." Inspiration is one of the most telling feelings I have taken from these two funerals, but I have been inspired by funerals all along. The feeling of being able to give back to the family of the men lost is so great that words couldn't possibly explain. I feel that some of us think we are there to honor the men lost, and yes that is partly true. More than that we are there for the family. That little boy taught me that so many years ago. The person laid to rest doesn't  know what type of response they are getting during their funeral services, (not going to get into the afterlife here) but the family and friends will never forget it. In the fire service we come out in droves for the men and women that die in the line of duty. Why do we do this? For our brother firefighters? Sure, I guess so. I mean, that is the moment you really feel the "Brotherhood" when we all stand together for one common cause. Are we there for the person that lost his life? Sure. The real question is what cause could be greater than standing in place of the person that lost their life? In their place? To stand not just for them but stand in for them to support of their family, stand as a true Brother. So would that make me the Brother to Mrs. Walsh (Ed's Wife), the son of Mr. Kennedy and Mrs. Crosby-Bell (Michael's parents)? How about Alex the little boy that Kennedy acted as a Big Brother for? The American Infidels? The members of the Boston Fire Department? For that day it does. Yes it does! Speaking for myself and not the entire fire service I would step out and do whatever they asked of me. This is why I prepare my ability to play my music so diligently. Why I enjoy the kilt and bagpipe jokes. Why I will try my damnedest to never say no! It's my way of giving back and helping them. This job owes me nothing.


     I know the families will receive financial assistance, but that is not enough to fill the hole. I watched as the news talked of the new bill in Massachusetts to raise Line of duty Death benefits 50% and thought "boy that's nice." That's all that came to mind, "that's nice." In a few short weeks the news articles and blog posts will stop for these men. The fundraisers and donations will end and we will all move on and follow our favorite sports teams or get lost in the summer sun, making these events a distant memory for us. The beloved firefighter will once again be on attack by the political machine and the community will be right back where it was before 9/11/01, December of 2011, and yes March 26, 2014. The families will move on too, It will take them a little longer but time heals all wounds, right? They will move on but they will never forget, just like William Noonan (BFD photographer), Local 718, The PFFM, IAFF, and Brockton Fire Museum as they continue to work tirelessly to remind us of men giving the ultimate sacrifice for the good of others. I know I will always carry these men with me. As I add Lt. Ed (Edzo) Walsh Ladder 15 and FF Michael (Dork) Kennedy Engine 33 to my ever growing list of Line Of Duty Deaths I have piped (Now at 31 men and women in 17yrs) I reflect on the question "What was it like?" My answer, my real answer? You tell me...what was it like?






Peter


No comments:

Post a Comment