Sunday, December 8, 2013

Amazing Grace(Life)


       My plan for this week was to post the first of what very well could be a four part story I have been writing, but the point of this blog is about the people we meet or interact with and how they affect us/me, and I have had a profound effect, so the four parter is going to have to wait.

        I received a message on Facebook yesterday from a woman I have never met. I know of this woman and her story from my travels as a piper. She is and has been an advocate for widows and families that have and are suffering the loss of their firefighter for close to 15 years. She lost her husband of twenty years,(two years prior to me entering into service) back on June 24th 1994. He was a third generation firefighter from Boston, and had earned his way to the rank of Lieutenant. The Lieutenant lost his life while fighting a nine-alarm fire in the Charlestown section of Boston. The crew of Ladder 15 were immediately sent into the building on a rescue mission, their goal was to find two fellow firefighters who were missing, and, at last check had little air left in their tanks. Eventually both of the missing firefighters were found, and as the brave crew of Ladder 15 was exiting the building, they came to the sobering realization that the Lieutenant had not come out with them. What happened is really not clear and very well may never be; but the morning of June 24, 1994 at 7:30 am this woman's life would change forever as the Lieutenant's body was recovered by the very men he was proud to lead. The message sent to me was a heartfelt thank you for one of my posts here on A Piper's View. I knew this blog would affect people but I didn't know how or even think it would begin this early on. I thought long and hard about what I should write to this woman as a response, and the only thing that would come to mind as I thought of her was her Amazing Grace.

       The bagpipes and firefighting are synonymous. There are numerous stories as to why, but the bottom line is tradition. In 1972 tradition was changed/begun when the Royal Scot Dragoon Guard decided to make a recording of a song penned by English poet and Anglican clergyman John Newton (1725–1807) first published in 1779. The words describe in the first person the move of a "wretch" from a "lost" to a "found" state by a merciful act of a higher power. The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, the senior Scottish regiment of the British Army, recorded an instrumental version featuring a bagpipe soloist accompanied by a pipe and drum band. The tempo of their arrangement was slowed to allow for the bagpipes. It began with a bagpipe solo introduction, then it was accompanied by the band of bagpipes and horns. It hit number 1 in the UK singles chart in April 1972, spending 24 weeks total on the charts, topped the RPM national singles chart in Canada for three weeks, and rose as high as number 11 in the U.S. It is also a controversial instrumental, as it combined pipes with a military band. It has been said that the Pipe Major of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards was summoned to Edinburgh Castle and chastised for demeaning the bagpipes. The bagpipe version has been played often at funerals for police, fire, and military personnel ever since.

       I have explained in a past post that we play Amazing Grace in the same manner as police and fire band across the nation. Yes, I am aware that Newton was once a slave trader and found better ways, and that his intent to this poem was to show people his change. I do have my own thoughts and opinions on how or why we play it in such a way, as well as what it could mean to me. Once again we start with a solo. One piper will begin and play the first stanza "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see." Let's for a moment take the word grace, and substitute it with the word life. Now, go back and read it again. Kind of changes things, doesn't it? Now let's assume for a moment that not understanding the meaning of (grace) life, makes us a "wretch" who is "lost," and through living we realize life's meaning "found." Realizing this allows us to "see." We then, as a band, come together as one to play the second stanza. This shows growth in life(grace), adding people to our circle. Building who we are. The music is louder and much more commanding at this point. As I have discussed before music in life is not just notes. We have grown. Now all are involved even the spectator. The swell of emotion reaches out to everyone and grabs tightly onto your soul. "T'was Grace(life) that taught my heart to fear, and Grace(life), my fears relieved, how precious did that Grace(life) appear the hour I first believed." Now everyone is in deep thought as the band winds down leaving just one piper left to play a single bagpipe. "Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; Tis Grace(life) that brought me safe thus far and Grace(life) will lead me home." As the third part plays out the piper will walk away. Is the piper leading the lost home? Has one soul been pulled from the circle and carried on with this action? The music will fade off with the walk as the remaining people are left to reflect and live on. The circle is not empty but it is missing one.
       I am reminded of a quote, “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ~ Oscar Wilde ~  This woman has lived, in such an amazing way. Even through all she has lived and seen, she still gives time and cares for family and friends as well as people she does not know with vigor. Recently she was quoted to say “It’s more the honoring of not just the men that are buried here, or the men that have died, but the entire department." This is what I was able to learn Saturday December 28, 1996 in Jamaica Plain. So as I reflect on her simple message to me on Facebook, I realize just thank you is not enough for her Amazing (life) Grace.   
Peter


 

1 comment:

  1. Peter, I love reading your blog. It is refreshing to see things from your point of view.

    ReplyDelete