Sunday, December 29, 2013

Six degrees?

         Yesterday I piped a funeral with a rather interesting set of connections. We all know or have heard how small a world we live in. Six degrees of separation is the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. So basically we are all connected within six acquaintances.
      The obituary read, "Robert C. “Bob “Kelley, of West Yarmouth passed away peacefully on Sunday, December 22, at home surrounded by his family. He was the beloved husband of Ann (Brady) Kelley of West Yarmouth and his first wife the late Margaret (Yuskaitis) Kelley. Robert, born in Brockton, MA on February 26, 1924, was the son of Margaret (Calnan) Kelley and Fred F. Kelley. He graduated from Brockton High School in 1942 and enlisted in the US Navy in 1943. He served in the Central and Western Pacific as an Aviation Radioman Gunner. Upon his honorable discharge from the Navy, Robert joined New England Tel & Tel. After a distinguished career Bob retired in 1983." What the obituary did not tell me was all the connections I had with this man, whom I never met, or so I thought when I first got the call to play the pipes. 

       The request for me to pipe the funeral came through fire alarm. The daughter called to see if the fire department knew of any bagpipers, knowing that the fire service and piping are connected. I left the station for Hyannis right after my night shift. The funeral mass was to be celebrated at St Francis Xavier church just outside downtown Hyannis at 10am. I arrived with plenty of time to spare so I stopped in Hyannis Fire Headquarters for a quick visit and talk to the gentleman that runs the MDA Chili festival each March. He seemed happy to get a face to face instead of the usual banter back and forth through email. After squaring away the plans for the festival I made my way over to the church to begin to warm up the pipes. It was cold! The wind seemed to rip right through the wool like it wasn't even there. I knew then that the cemetery would be a joy. After about 15 minutes of warming up the pipes I began to head into the front lobby of the church to warm up my hands, face, and ears. I noticed three well dressed older women coming toward me on the walkway. I found it strange at first the look on their face until I noticed one of them. It was My Great Aunt, my Grandmother's sister in-law, the last of our family from that generation. I gave her a quick hug and kiss before asking her why she would make the trek, wondering what her connection was. As it turns out she is a very close friend of the gentleman's widow Ann. They spend time together quite often. I realized I could have kept her talking for quite some time with questions of my kids and the holidays so for once I ended the conversation before I got out of control. Yes, I could talk the hind legs off a donkey.
       As the hearse opened I began to play. It was cold and the weather could be rather harsh on the tone of the pipes. I was able to tune them and lock them in but if I struck the bag in just a hair too hard or too soft my drones wouldn't sound just right. I was a little nervous because of this which would veer my concentration just enough that I noticed the people entering the church. I usually keep my eyes fixed down or at something specific so I don't lose concentration looking at the family. I didn't lose it but I did notice a man walking up the path while I was playing. He is retired Brockton Firefighter. That's when I remembered the obituary. He glanced at me and gave me a low wave from the hip and a quick head nod. I'm not sure if he noticed who I was or was just being polite. He was the widows brother.
Frederick F Kelley Eng Co. 1
Died March 10, 1941
      After the mass started I ended up standing inside the lobby of the church as there really wasn't too much room to sit in the mass. Which is surprising for an 89 year old. He must have made a great impression on his circle. I started chatting with one of the men from the funeral home. As it turns out he did not directly work for this funeral home. He worked for a close friend of mine that owns a funeral home back here in Brockton. He will send his limos to other funeral homes when they need the extra cars. We chuckled about how we were both from the same place and "how small the world is." Just then two women walked in the church. They were very pleasant and asked me what clan I was from. I had to explain that the kilt I wear represents the County Clair in Ireland as this is where my family originates, to the best of my knowledge. This conversation was very brief as they were about ten minutes late already. They turned to head into the church with a Happy New Year in tow when they realized they were at the wrong funeral. I felt bad for these women, but there really was nothing I could do other than wait for them to leave before I laughed. Sorry folks but that is funny. As we continued to chat I told the driver the most interesting connection with this funeral. You have heard me mention here numerous times the Strand Theatre fire and collapse of March 10, 1941. I found out I had met Mr. Kelley back on May 10, 2008 and didn't remember. I had met so many that day. Robert Kelley is the oldest son of Frederick Kelley of the Brockton Fire Department, assigned to Engine Company One. Frederick lost his life while operating at the Strand. Firefighter Kelley was born in Haverhill, MA and resided at 37 Exchange Street, Brockton. He had served in the United States Army as a Combat Engineer assigned to the 26th Division in France during World War I and was a semi-pro baseball player prior to his appointment to the Brockton Fire Department. When he died he left his wife Margaret and two sons; Robert, (who we celebrate) and Frederick.in Haverhill, MA and resided at 37 Exchange Street, Brockton. He had served in the United States Army as a Combat Engineer assigned to the 26th Division in France during World War I and was a semi-pro baseball player prior to his appointment to the Brockton Fire Department. He left his wife Margaret and two sons, Robert, age 17 and Frederick, age 15.
Firefighter Kelley is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Brockton.Firefighter Kelley was born in Haverhill, MA and resided at 37 Exchange Street, Brockton. He had served in the United States Army as a Combat Engineer assigned to the 26th Division in France during World War I and was a semi-pro baseball player prior to his appointment to the Brockton Fire Department. He left his wife Margaret and two sons, Robert, age 17 and Frederick, age 15.
Firefighter Kelley is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Brockton.Firefighter Kelley was born in Haverhill, MA and resided at 37 Exchange Street, Brockton. He had served in the United States Army as a Combat Engineer assigned to the 26th Division in France during World War I and was a semi-pro baseball player prior to his appointment to the Brockton Fire Department. He left his wife Margaret and two sons, Robert, age 17 and Frederick, age 15.
Firefighter Kelley is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Brockton.
   


       The service ended and the pipes played much better, even though the sun was gone and it was much colder now. I was so right about the cemetery. The grave was just off the side of the hill in the middle of the St Francis Xavier cemetery off of route 28 in Centerville. There were a few pitch pines and scrub oaks but not enough to block the slicing winds. The Navy had sent a two member unit to fold and present the flag. They had the "radio" bugle but for some reason they didn't fake it. Instead the seaman held the bugle at his side while taps rang out. Not sure how I felt about that. As I finished my walk away I noticed something a little different. The few trees that did line the cemetery held numerous wind chimes, all of which were ringing beautifully, filling the air with the thoughts of pleasantries and spring mornings. As I packed my pipes away on the tailgate of my pick-up I didn't think of the blistering cold or the usual feelings for the families loss. The chimes took my mind to all of the connections of the day. My Aunt, my colleague, the driver, the funeral director friend. Even the women that came when they didn't need too. To the thoughts of why I started this blog. To thoughts of my kids, how this is a great lesson for me and for them. The people we meet. We never really know who is connected to who or how they are connected, but we surely are within six degrees.
 
 


Peter
 





No comments:

Post a Comment