Thursday, January 23, 2014

Family, Friends, Strangers, and the Icon

       The last three weeks have been something to say the least. The losses have piled up faster than I realized, with a celebration at home mixed right in the middle of it all. This is the moment I veer from the point of this blog. I guess it's mine so I have that right, especially as the most proud dad on the planet right now. My son has done it, after five long years and incredible odds he earned his Black Belt in Karate. This would be the second time he attempted this training. The first time he went through the 16 week training course he had to bow out at week 14 due to a knee injury. He took two months off and felt it was time to jump right back in, far less than 100% I might add. At the time I wasn't sure this was a good idea. His determination to go through carried him the full 16 weeks and this Friday night he will receive the coveted Black Belt. If you have ever gone through this you know already the time and effort it takes for both you and your child. The feeling of seeing them reach a long term goal and knowing they will carry that with them forever is just amazing. The problem is how long is forever?

       For my friends father, forever may have ended January first at the age of 60. He was a musician his entire life and played in a local rock band with a solid following. I have seen him make his drums sing on many occasions. His son has been a friend of mine since I was a teen and coincidentally we work together at the same station on opposite shifts. Not unlike (I believe) myself, the Musician was a strong family man, and I imagine the son follows closely in those steps. Many times the son and I have bragged to each other about our children, never a competition type or a one ups-man, but more of an admiration type. It's so refreshing to see other men show their admiration for their family. This would be a church only service which I was ok with due to the monsoon that blew through the city the morning of the funeral. I always wonder if the deceased has a choice of weather after reaching their meeting place. If so I plan to create some interesting weather on my day. In spite of the weather, the service was beautiful. This was a traditional catholic mass with fine words from the family. The son, as well as five others carried the casket with grace and poise, a proper send off.  I'm sure the Musician was looking down at his son with the same kind of pride I have today for my own.

       Just two days later we laid to rest a stranger to me. The Stranger would have four more years of forever as he passed at 64. A Vietnam Veteran growing up in Waltham MA, moving to Brockton as an adult. He was a sports fan who loved to play golf and had a decent high school career on the football and baseball teams at Waltham High. I wasn't able to sit in on this mass and listen to his family's words as I spent my time chatting with the gentlemen working for the funeral home. We were discussing one of our friends and how he had lost his son the night before. The son was just 26 years old. I don't know the circumstances of his death, what I do know is 26 is a far too short forever.

Bugler from the 54th MA. 
       The Stranger's funeral ended in a different way than usual. There was no internment or graveside but he would still receive military honors. I spoke to the gentleman that was to give the honors. He is assigned to the 54th MA Regiment of the U.S. Army. A young black man with a promising career he seems ready to tackle the world. He was rather green, (having only served just under 3 years) but knew what he wanted to do with his forever and I found that refreshing. After the mass they held the casket up in the foyer of the church, for outside the doorstep, the Army guard played Taps from the (radio) bugle. The sound carried brilliantly throughout the church, it was kind of neat to be honest. As the bugle began the sun found its way from behind the clouds. I was struck by this so I did something I've never done. I pulled out my phone and took a picture. It kind of felt like my friend's son was looking on at that moment. I don't know, tough to explain. I did get a little choked up.  After Taps the guard made his way in the church to fold the flag. I have to assume it went well because it went quickly. Either it went quickly or I didn't snap out of my funk as fast as I thought (insert winky eye here). As the casket crossed the threshold of the church I began to play AG, as I said earlier there were no services following so at the family's request I finished up out front with two rounds and the walk away.

       The Icon closed his chapter in the book of life after 99 years. Could forever last just 99 years? Imagine, 99 years of living, his chapter is chock full of amazing tales and journeys…



to be continued…



No comments:

Post a Comment