Wednesday, November 13, 2013

11/12/13


       So here we are seventeen years later, almost to the day. Well one month shy of seventeen years but who's counting. The odd thing I noticed just now is the date. It is actually 9:10 am on 11/12/13. Exactly seventeen years since I started the Fire Department. What does this have to do with Veteran's Day? Absolutely nothing! (as I digress).
       Veteran's Day started like it has since 2006. I woke up and threw on the band kilt. You see when we started the bag pipe and drum band we made kind of a pact (for lack of a better term) the first parade we would march in as a band would be Veteran's Day. So 2006 was the band's first parade. Anyway a story for another time; let's get back to 2013.
       The house was a buzz as my youngest had a sleep over the night before. The plan was for them to come down and watch the parade. So I'm sure you can imagine the request for different foods from two 10 year old girls, 12 year old boy, two adults, and a ten month old Saint Bernard. This of course is not to mention the 19 year old still sleeping. Kind of a cluster but apparently that's what I like. If we don't start our day with turmoil something is wrong. So after everything calmed down just a hair I head out of the house. I'm a little later than I wanted as I know I have to retune my chanter because the reed is rather squirrely. The sky was crystal clear and the sun was warm like many years past. I stood for a moment in the driveway looking like Timothy Green. 
       I was the second guy to arrive at the meeting place for tune-up. So I guess I wasn't the only one to leave a little behind. Good thing I factor an hour before each gig to make up for it. The tuning went real well and the hour disappeared rather quickly. The parade stepped off about five minutes late. This would be ok because the ceremony at city hall was not supposed to start before 11am. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the Armistice. Once again as we were marching I noticed how warm the sun was. We were one of two bands in the parade. The other? Our high school band, who by the way are amazing. This parade route is rather simple three lefts and a right with full sun along the way. The route itself was rather full. When marching it's hard to get a take on the crowd but I do get the occasional eye contact here and there. I have been asked by some about the slight dip of the head as I pass by friends. It's tough not to acknowledge people when you pass by so I did, I came up with a silly little head tilt. It works for me. The best part of the route is the kids! Seeing these kids out there waving the Standard is such a joy.

       The ceremony began with us playing a slow air for the members of my department lost in the Strand Theater fire of 1941 (Another story for another time), followed by the high school band and their incredible rendition of The National Anthem. I really can't say enough to give you the idea how amazing these kids are. Pure perfection every time out. The ceremony went off without a hitch. The amphitheater behind city hall was chock full of people wearing or holding the American flag. I would estimate that there was anywhere from four to five hundred people there, all of them to thank our veterans. The local VFW played taps and volleyed off the shots of remembrance. Now it was time for us to play again. Once again, as many times before, we would play Amazing Grace. The way we play it is the same as fire and police bands across the nation. One solo piper will start and play it once. Then with a dramatic entrance which we refer to as the attack, the entire band chimes in. At this point I play a different version than the rest of the pipers. This causes harmonies creating tone change to help invoke emotion. At the end of the round I play the final solo. I play it straight but walk away. The walk away allows the music to fade off as though there is a piper in the distance. I can't tell you what the walk away means to others, but to me, I find it very special. I feel that the walk away is a symbol. Maybe it carries the soul to its final rest. Maybe that is the moment for others to reflect. Maybe people don't even notice. For this ceremony the walk away symbolized the end.

 
       This entry is really not about the morning of November 11th, 2013 as it was pretty average. Today I'm more interested in talking about the evening. The City Police Department Honor Guard held a comedy event to support the Wounded Warrior Project. Now I'm not going to get to deep into the Project if you want to know more check it out. What I want to talk about is the man that hosted the event. Yes ,he is a police officer where I live. Every time I see this man he impresses me more and more. Once again he did not disappoint. It's not the fact that he put together a great show hosted by Joey Carroll, Harry Corcell, Chris Pennie and special guest Steve Sweeney (who by the way donated their time for the Project). It's about what he has quietly done as a member of our United States Army serving as an Infantryman for the Multi Nation Forces 17th Iraq Army Battalion as well as a member of 1/325 Air, 82nd Airborne Division. It would seem he joined in late 1995 and still serves today. The 1stSgt received a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his service overseas along with numerous other metals and ribbons evident by the number of them on his chest.
       The 1stSgt stood at the podium speaking to the attendees about the Project and why we were all there. He reminded us of the men and woman still overseas. To this point his speech was solid. He stood tall over all of us in his dress uniform pressed to perfection. He would then refer us to a table that was just off the side of the podium. This table would test him and his speech. He began by stating in a strong drill sergeant type voice, "This is a Table of Honor. To the front of the hall and closest to the stage you can observe a table with a placement for one." His eyes jumped up from the paper and quickly scanned the room so as to make sure everyone was on task. "Although the table is small the meaning is great" he paused for a quick glance. " At this time I would like to explain the meaning of the items on this special table." Once again the 1stSgt scanned the room. I have known this man for a couple years and I have to say normally he enjoys the clowning. Not at this moment. His face was solid and serious. "The table is round-to show our everlasting concern for our missing comrades. The table cloth is white-symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering their call to duty. The single red rose, displayed in a vase, reminds us of the life of each of the missing, and their loved ones and friends of these Americans who keep the faith awaiting answers." His head would move from the paper once again. This time he fixed his eyes on one man. His voice now slightly different than when he started. I would not say that the 1stSgt was shook, I would say he was right where he needed to be. We sit home safe at night not a worry, not realizing what these men and woman have and are going through. He took a moment to gather himself. His next words were an attempt to apologize. The crowd would not have that! He would pause again. It was clear the man in front of him invoked something. One more time the 1stSgt would head back to the Table of Honor quite less clear than before. "The vase tied with a red ribbon, a symbol of our continued determination to account for our missing." These words were the toughest for him. Prior to continuing on he would introduce the man in front. This man served with him and they both received the Purple Heart. He invited the man to the stage and the man stood  and made his way to the 1stSgt's side as I am sure he had done in battle numerous times. The man grabbed the mic and began to read from the paper. "A slice of lemon on the bread plate is to remind us of the bitter fate of those captured and missing in a foreign land." The 1stSgt turned from facing the room maybe not realizing the wall behind him was fully mirrored. The man continued," A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears endured by those missing and their families who seek answers." the 1stSgt would turn back to the side of the man as he continued." A bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain those lost from our country, founded as one nation under God."  Both men would share a look as the 1stSgt would place his left arm across the man's shoulders. The man continued, "The glass is inverted-to symbolize their inability to share within tonight's festivities. The chair is empty-for they are missing." Once again the man would pause, look across the room as serious as the 1stSgt did to begin this emotional moment. "To the American prisoner of War, Missing in Action, and those who can no longer be with us...
We pray for your safe return and know--You will never be forgotten"

Peter
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment