Friday, November 15, 2013

November 15, 2013


       We lost a former member of our department on Veteran's Day. Today we buried him. His obituary read that he is survived by his daughter, his longtime companion, three sisters, and three brothers, (one of which is on the job with me) as well as three grandchildren. This man was 61 years old so I'm sure he left many others as well, evident by the number of people that attended the graveside service. He left the department about five or so years before I came on so I did not know him. I had heard many stories some good and some bad, but we all know how that goes. I do know his brother. So I will gauge him off of that.
       When I arrived for my first shift on my first assignment after drill school the brother met me at the door. He greeted me with a smile and shook my hand. His self introduction really made me feel welcome. He worked on the opposing shift so as it turns out I was to be his relief. The cool thing about this guy was he didn't just leave. He took the time to show me around the station and go over the truck. He opened the compartments, pulled out tools, even showed me a spot on the gear rack. Now I know most of you salty guys out there are waiting for the gag. Waiting for me to tell you how he pulled one over on me, hit me with a bucket of water or something like that. Nope. That never happened. About a week later I figured out why. This guy had only gotten out of drill school himself six months prior so he knew right where I was coming from. I always remembered that and try to be the same way with new guys.
       It turns out the gentleman that passed served in the U.S. Air Force during the Vietnam Conflict. Many of times I have piped a military funeral, but not too many with the Air Force. The two Airmen were sharp in their Service Dress. These two men were young, couldn't have been any older than twenty. I went to them to let them know when I would be playing and asked if Taps was to be rendered. Neither one of them would break attention. It was rather strange how nervous they seemed. I tried to lighten their mood a little by telling them how lucky they were that they were able to enter the cemetery. They looked at me silently with a puzzled stare. I mean it gets real difficult sometimes seeing as how everyone was dying to get in there. They didn't get it.
       The department sent a five person Honor Guard holding the American flag, State flag, city flag, and two rifleman (yes we use rifles with our honor guard) along with the Ladder truck and Heavy Rescue. There were a decent amount of off duty guys there both in Class A and street clothes. A handful of retired members were there as well. The members from both trucks stood at attention wearing their bunker coats and helmets which I think is a nice touch. But really they did it because not everyone remembered that ridiculous bell cap you have heard me talk about. The ceremony started with the moving of the casket. I played "As She Moved Thru the Fair." This is a beautiful tune based on love lost. This traditional Irish tune is about two who loved and planned to marry without the permission of her family. She would pass and return to him in death promising to wait for him in the afterlife. This is one of my all time favorites.
       Now is the point I was concerned about since I spoke with the Airmen. They began to fold the flag. Veteran's families receive the American flag on behalf of the United States for their service to their country and normally this part of the ceremony is very touching. Well the nervousness got the best of the folder. It would seem to me he just didn't pull the flag tight enough on each fold. This would cause the end fold to be too short and not able to fit in the triangle. The folder realized this just a little too late so he then had to unfold and start over. This really is no big deal except the family is very emotional and the detail would be at attention for an extended period. The second time thru the fold went much better. Now is the point the folder would make up for his lack of attention previously. With grace and poise he grasped the flag from the top of its triangle and slowly brought his hand along the fold in the downward direction, waving his hand in the air so as to call attention to his task. He did this for each of the three sides each time bringing his bright white gloved hand over his head prior to connecting back with the flag. He would then properly pass the flag to the other Airman and give a slow salute prior to making his way off in the distance to retrieve the bugle. The second Airman would then take the flag and make his way to the front of the family. Taps was played and the gift of the flag was completed. Now the ceremony would end but not before I would play Amazing Grace. Earlier I noticed how the trucks were parked so I planned to direct my walk away in their direction. I played the first round and turned to begin the walk away. It went perfectly by the time of the last measure of the tune I was beyond the truck thinking how great the music must have faded off. 
       As I returned to the graveside the brother was shaking the hands of the guys from our department. He held his face of sorrow the best he could while he shook the hand of each and every firefighter as they waited for him to pass by. As I made my way to him I remembered how I felt my first day. How, for that day I looked up to him like a veteran firefighter, one that knows the ways of the job. Looking up to him as the firefighter he is today. He reached to shake my hand, I passed it by and gave him an embrace. He thanked me for playing his brothers funeral, and I was finally able to thank him.  
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment